Administrators and user administrators can add to their group users who already have an account on the platform, if they have a group in common with them.
This will not remove the users from their current groups.
The technique described in this article is a variation of Add existing users to a new group, but optimized for processing many users in batch, or if it is more convenient for you to manipulate external CSV files.
This is a direct application of setting up multiple accounts via CSV import, only we’ll focus on changing groups, without editing any other user attributes.
Below are the general steps of the process:
- download the CSV template file from the platform;
- fill in the file;
- copy and paste the contents of the file into the platform interface.
We strongly suggest making tests with a single account before adding several lines to the file.
Download the CSV template file
- At the top right of the homepage, click CREATE → User.
- In the left sidebar, click Set up multiple users.
- At the top of the section, click DOWNLOAD TEMPLATE.
You can then open the downloaded file.
Fill in the CSV file
- Open the CSV file.
- On the bottom left, click the sheet Template - Modele.
- Delete the first two example lines (or keep them as examples temporarily), on line 11 and 12.
- For each movement of user in a group (if you want to add a user to 2 different groups, add 2 lines), add a line with the following values:
- Email / Email (column A): email of the user (without spaces or special character).
Role / Rôle (column B):
2(for author) or
Group ID / Identifiant groupe (column C): string of character identifying the group on which the user will have the role defined in column B. If no value is entered, the role will be applied on the platform group.
- If you wish to add or edit the role of a user on several groups (or several roles on a single group), add one line per duo role-group.
- If you wish to replace the roles of an existing user, select the option Already existing roles will be deleted and replaced by the roles defined in the field above. in the platform. Otherwise, the defined roles will be added to the already existing ones.
To get the Group ID:
- Below the main field of the menu Set up multiple users, click Get the ID of my groups.
- On the far right of the name of a group, click Copy to clipboard.
(See also Find the ID of a group.)
Copy and paste the contents of the file into the platform interface
Once your file is ready:
- In the file, copy all lines corresponding to accounts to create or update, including the header on line 10.
- In the platform (still in the menu Add users → Set up multiple accounts), paste the lines in the main field.
- On the bottom, click SET UP USERS.