Labels are keywords you can attach to user profiles. They help you monitor users without weighing down the platform.
Add a label
- Go to My Workspace > Users
- Click on a user
- In the section Labels, click +
- Choose a label in the list, or click + at the bottom left to create a new label
You can find and manage all labels from the menu My Workspace > Settings > Keywords > Labels.
Filter by label
You can filter users by label in all user selection windows.
Click on the cursor icon . The icon will appear in blue when activated:
Add a label or create a group?
Groups and labels both allow you to bring learners together.
However, they have slightly different purposes: groups aim at fostering learning communities whereas labels will help you manage learner statistics.
Here's an example:
- A company operates in 20 areas, with 6 Business Units and sells 3 ranges of products
- If you were to create groupes, you would need... 587 groupes to cover all entities and collect data analytics. As is creating hundreds of groups wasn't enough, note that all of this groups don't necessarily need to communicated with one another. Rather, they need to do so via Aras/Business Units/Range of Products wise.
- However, you could add 3 labels (Areas + Business Units + Ranges of products) and 29 label values (20 + 6 + 3) to collect data analytics.
Here’s a list of points to consider to help you make the best choice when deciding to create a group for a given community or add a label to members.
- The Catalogue: as you know, you can make courses and programs available by group in open access in the Catalogue. It’s not possible to do this by label.
- The Community: adding a label to a list of members doesn’t create a dedicated space on the platform where members can interact. If you want to create a community of learners, you should create a group that allows members access to a dedicated forum and the possibility to have a clear forum administrator.
- Managing new members: if a program runs over a long period of time and you initially added members by sorting by label, new platform members won’t be automatically assigned to the program. You’ll need to remember to add new members to the program.
- Comment visibility: When running a training program, comments left by learners will appear in group forums. If you want the forum to appear in private, you’ll need to create a private group and not a label.
- By Class: if you have a training program for each class, you should create a dedicated group with all members who followed the program and create a label for each class to easily assign your programs.
- Business Expertise: if you have a community of business professionals with different areas of expertise, training is often mandatory for some and optional for others. In this case, you can add a label per area of expertise to efficiently assign the training program and comments will nonetheless be visible in the forum of the professional community and encourage others to consult the training program.